Skip to main content

Brief and Basic Workouts

 Brief, Basic, Intense, and Frequent Workouts for Monstrous Muscle Gains!

Mike Mentzer was a fan of brief, hard workouts (and he even trained fairly frequently in the '70s before going "nutso" with very infrequent workouts!)


I'm currently working on Part Twos of my "Eight Point Program" and "Intense and Infrequent Workout" series of articles.  In the meantime, I thought I'd write something short and to the point, just like the workouts I'm about to recommend.


I just finished a brief workout myself consisting of squats, thick bar deadlifts, dumbbell bench presses, dumbbell curls, and sandbag carries.  Sometimes it's good to get back to the basics.


Come to think of it, it's always good to do basic, intense workouts centered around the big lifts.  But, typically, in my observation, most lifters do these sort of workouts too infrequently.  I used to recommend hard, intense, infrequent workouts myself years ago in articles for Ironman Magazine and MuscleMag International.  I still think those kind of workouts are awesome, I just think they should be done 3 to 4 days per week (for each muscle group) instead of only a couple days per week (as I used to recommend).


First off, center your workouts around what I will now call the Big Four!  Squat something, pick something off the ground, carry something for distance or time, and press something overhead.  You don't have to do all 4 at each workout, but you do need to do all 4 during the course of the week, multiple times per week.  If you look at my brief workout today, you'll notice that the only thing missing is an overhead press of some sort, but I will be sure to do that at the next workout.


Usually, for the neophyte trying to pack on as much muscle and strength as possible, I also recommend eating as much calorie-dense, nutrient-rich food as possible, too.  And that's a great suggestion, but for older lifters such as myself, it's not necessary.  In fact, I currently am following a form of intermittent fasting, and I just did the workout above with only about 800 calories in my body today.  In an hour or two, I will have a small meal consisting of about 250 to 300 calories, and that's it.  I'll do the same thing tomorrow before following it up with a "re-feed" day on the day after.


Back to the workouts, here is what my workout consisted of today (minus warm-ups):

Squats: 2 sets of 6 to 8 reps

Dumbbell Bench Presses: 2 sets of 15 reps

Thick-bar deadlifts: 2 sets of 6 reps

Alternate dumbbell curls: 2 sets of 8 reps (each arm)

Sandbag carries: 2 sets to the top of my steep driveway


When I was finished, I felt great - better than how I felt before starting the workout.  That's one of the keys to making these kind of frequent workouts work: You should always feel better after the workout than beforehand.  If you feel drained or tired-as-hell, you've simply done too much work.  Take a day or two off if that's the case before repeating with a similar workout session.


In summary, if you want to gain a lot of muscle mass, strength, and power, do the following:

1. Train your entire body 3 to 4 days per week using the "Big Four".

2. Do no more than 2 to 3 sets per lift, working a couple reps or so shy of muscular failure.

3. Repeat the workout - or something very similar - as often as possible.  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday workout days would be a good example.

4. If you're trying to get as big as possible, eat as much calorie-dense, nutritious food as possible.

5.  If you're an older lifter just trying to stay in shape and feel great - while still looking good - then simply eat a "good diet".  I - for the most part - combine intermittent fasting with a low-carb, high-fat diet.  At other times, I follow a whole-food, plant-based diet.


Now, stop reading this blog or anything else on the internet, and get your ass in the gym.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Old Time Mass Tactics: One-Exercise-Per-Bodypart Training

     Starting with the current post, I thought I would do a mini-series on how the "old-time" bodybuilders used to train.  In doing so, I also thought I would start with what I consider the greatest of the old-time mass tactics:  one-exercise-per-bodypart training.      When I first began to lift weights seriously (which was sometime in my high-school years; I'm 35 now, so you do the math), the bodybuilders that I loved were the ones that—even then—were considered the "old-timers."  I remember seeing pictures of Freddy Ortiz, Don Howorth (above), and Marvin Eder; I was amazed by their look.  For one, they definitely looked strong (which they were), but they also had excellent size, shape, and symmetry—small waists, large calves, boulder-sized shoulders; the whole "x-frame" look.  But—and I think this is what I still love about them—they didn't appear to be cardboard cutouts of one another.  They all had different "looks."  They were