Skip to main content

Nutrient Combining (and Timing) for Muscle-Building and Fat Loss?

 Some Random Thoughts (like Really Random) on Nutritional Concepts That May, or May Not, Work




     C.S.’s note: As I wrote above, what follows is very random.  I had read about Suzanne Somers’ recent death, and it made me think about something I don’t typically write about: nutrition.  Take what follows with a slight grain of salt…



     Suzanne Somers died this past week just short of her 77th birthday.  If you were a kid in the ‘70s and early ‘80s (like me), then you remember well her character Chrissy from the tv sitcom “Three’s Company.”  In fact, if you were a young boy in the ‘70s and early ‘80s (once again, like me), then there’s a good chance that your love of all things female boiled down to the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, any one of Charlie’s Angels, Linda Carter as Wonder Woman, and, finally, Somers as Chrissy Snow.  But don’t worry, this isn’t an essay where I go on and on about the first “loves” of my young male life.  No, Somers' death got me thinking about something else that most people probably don’t associate with the late actress: nutrient-combining.  Believe it or not, she wrote something like a dozen best-selling nutrition/dietary books, and the main gist of her nutritional thesis was that, sure, some things are off-limits such as “sugar” and “starches,” but the main culprit of bad health was combining certain foods with other foods.  And by that same token, certain foods should be combined together for optimal health - not to mention a smaller waist size.

     Somers wasn’t the first nutritional “expert” to recommend such combining, or lack thereof, whatever the case might be.  The “classical conditioning” expert Ivan Pavlov - who died in the 1930s - believed that protein-rich foods shouldn’t be combined with carbohydrate-rich foods.  I’m unsure whether this was also based on his various observations of drooling dogs, but hey, he certainly wasn’t the last to recommend such a thing.

     I remember reading about this idea for bodybuilding sometime in the late ‘80s, early ‘90s.  Now, don’t hold me to this, but I believe it was Ron Love in an old MuscleMag International from around this time who said that he never ate his protein with his carbs.  He would have a piece of chicken, wait an hour, have a baked potato or some rice, wait a couple of hours, and have some more chicken (or steak, hamburger, whatever), then wait a little bit before having some more carbs.  And he always ate this way, especially pre-contest.  As I said, I think this was Ron Love - I’ve looked everywhere for that particular MuscleMag, and I’m sure I still have the magazine somewhere, but I can’t find it in my boxes and boxes of old mags in my attic.  It might have been Scott Wilson - he and Ron Love were both fantastic late ‘80s, early ‘90s bodybuilders that need to be remembered more - so, please, someone correct me in the comments section below if you know me to be wrong.  Anyway, I wasn’t really sure about such a concept at the time, but it always stuck with me, and would eventually lead me to do some nutrient combining/timing methods myself as a bit of experimentation.

     In the mid ‘90s, I tried the Anabolic Diet invented by Dr.  Mauro DiPasquale.  It was probably the first, last, and only time that I managed to gain some muscle mass while also losing body fat without the aid of anabolic “supplements.”  On the Anabolic Diet, you eat high-fat (like really high-fat) Monday through Friday, and on the weekends, you ate an ultra-high carb diet.  The beauty of it, at least for me being a fairly young college student, was that basically the weekend was anything goes as long as it was carb-centric.  I ate plenty of pasta, ice cream, pizza, donuts, and not to mention ice-cold beer on Saturday and Sunday, which didn’t exactly, you know, interfere with my college life.  It just required me to be very strict Monday through Friday, but even then, I mean, it wasn’t that hard to eat a diet of steak, bacon, eggs, cheese, and (at least two to three days-per-week) a Wendy’s triple cheeseburger with bacon sans bun.

     After having success with the Anabolic Diet, I thought about that diet of Ron Love’s (or Scott Wilson’s or whoever’s), and thought that maybe, just maybe, that was one of the reasons that the Anabolic Diet was so successful, because you never combined fat with carbohydrates.  Or at least rarely.  I also realized this: high-fat diet, low-carb diets work… until they don’t.  But so do high-carb, low-fat diets.  I came up with the idea that you should eat a day or two of high-fat, low-carb followed by a day or two of high-carb, low-fat.  I thought I may have come up with a new diet that I could tout in the pages of the major muscle-magazines, maybe even become something of a household name if I could come up with a catchy name for my new diet.  But there was one problem that I should have seen coming: it didn’t really work.  I probably gained some muscle mass just because I was keeping my protein high each and every day, but it turns out you need more than just one day of high-fat, low-carb eating before trying something else.  Go figure (insert massive eye-roll).  But, hey, if anyone else wants to try it, be my guest and let me know what happens.

     A few years later, in the pages of the (at the time) cutting-edge Muscle Media 2000 magazine, I read about the ABCDE diet, an acronym for the absurdly titled “Anabolic Burst Cycle of Diet and Exercise” regimen.  Basically, using the ABCDE approach, you ate what amounted to an off-season diet where you “pigged-out” for two weeks, followed by two weeks of, essentially, pre-contest eating.  Actually, this isn’t a “bad” approach, aside from the fact that two weeks is too long to go on a “see-food” buffet.  But I did find that it worked much better if you ate high-calorie for three or four days, followed by a few days of low-calorie.  And I still think it’s pretty good, but it’s not something I’d recommend most people try unless they want to gain as much muscle as possible while minimizing fat gain.  But I have a feeling most lifters will still gain some fat on such an approach.  But, once again, I’m not discouraging folks from trying it.  By all means, if you think this approach will work for you, then give it a shot.

     That’s another thing about diet.  Too many people are all or nothing when it comes to dietary advice and nutritional regimens.  But I think diet is a lot more like training than the majority of bodybuilders realize.  As the saying goes when it comes to training, “the best program is the one you’re not doing,” and I think the same thing applies to nutrition.  And, of course, by the same token, “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it,” also applies.

     I think one truth when it comes to diet is universal, however.  If you’re trying to gain as much muscle as you can, then you need to combine foods.  You need to eat your steak with your baked potato, or your chicken breast with your rice.  But outside of that?  Experiment as you will.  Maybe you’ll come up with a food combination/ nutrient timing method that really works.  And if you write about it, just come up with a better acronym than ABCDE.  Who knows, maybe you’ll have a best seller on your hands (if the title is catchy enough).

Comments

  1. Did the ABC ( not typing out the whole thing) bulk diet as well as the anabolic diet. Saw better results from the ABC diet, but was less effective as I aged. I like how the ABC diet paired with a workout plan. MM2k was my favorite! Used to read the mags in the back of class….. I would say ABC is more doable than an anabolic. Anyway….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not a fan, really, of either diet now that I am older. I can't eat the same way at 50 that I could at, say, 22 to 25 years old (the ages when I would have originally used either). But I do think both APPROACHES could still be valid even for the older bodybuilder/lifter. For instance, I tend to just naturally eat lower carbs for a few days followed by a couple of "re-feed" days, an approach that has similarities to the Anabolic Diet and the ABCDE - but I wouldn't follow either one of them "outright."

      If you want a much longer "rant" on the Anabolic Diet, you can read this older piece that I wrote 8 years ago. But I pretty much still feel the same way. https://cssloanstrength.blogspot.com/2015/02/it-came-from-90s-anabolic-diet.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us some feedback on the article or any topics you would like us to cover in the future! Much Appreciated!

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Classic Bodybuilding: The Natural Power-Bodybuilding Methods of Chuck Sipes

Chuck Sipes as he appeared in the pages of the original Ironman Magazine. For a while now, I have wanted to write a piece on one of my favorite bodybuilders of all time: Chuck Sipes. I had relented in doing so until now only because there are so many good pieces that you can find on the internet just from doing a cursory search. But I finally figured, you know, what the hell, you can never have too much Chuck Sipes. Also, in addition to my own memories and thoughts on Sipes' totally bad-a training, I've tried to find some of the best information from various sites, and include a lot of that here. For those of you that don't know much about Sipes, he was one of a kind. I know that's a bit cliché, and I've used such terms before when it comes to other "classic bodybuilders", but there was nothing cliché about Sipes, so it's completely true in this instance. Don't believe me? Then read on. First off, he was natural. In fact, he was one of the l