Skip to main content

The Way of the Modern Ronin, Part 17

 Essays and Thoughts on The Dokkodo
Part Seventeen
Do Not Collect Weapons, Nor Practice with Them, Beyond What is Useful

Samurai wields two swords - a katana and a wakizashi - the hallmark of Musashi's "two heavens as one" style.
 

Here is another precept where there are often subtle differences in how it is translated.  But these subtle differences in translation can lead to subtly different outcomes.  So let's see if we can figure out the meaning of Musashi's words, then we'll see if we can apply it to our day-to-day lives.


Roshi Richard Collins's translation is similar to the one I used: "Do not seek especially either to collect or practice arms beyond what is useful."  William Scott Wilson - who typically has the most "accurate" translations - has this one as: "While it's different with military equipment, do not be fond of material things."  Lastly, David K. Groff translates this as: "Do not concern yourself with an unnecessary variety of tools, especially weapons."


No matter the translation, the emphasis is on not owning what one doesn't need, and not practicing what one doesn't need to practice!  It is one more way that Musashi is extolling his reader to let go.  And with The Dokkodo, he hammers this point home again and again throughout the work.


One of the reasons, I believe, that Musashi constantly pushed the need for letting go is because he knew that his own life would soon end.  We know that he wrote this final piece right before his death, but it wasn't the only thing that he wrote so late in life.  He also wrote the Go Rin No Sho ("Book of Five Rings") shortly before this one.  And it too has constant reminders to let go throughout it.


"Empty-handed I entered this world.
Barefoot I leave it.
My coming, my going -
Two simple happenings
That got entangled." ~Zen monk Kozan Ichikyo's "death poem", 1360

This sentiment of letting go at the end of life was echoed throughout the rest of Japan.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that the "average" person in Japan, throughout its history, were - what we might call - stoic.  People were as scared of death as many people are today.  But the "common folk" appreciated the preciousness of human life, and its fleeting impermanence.  And they cherished poems such as the one above.  (For centuries, Japanese poets had been writing these "death poems."  Ichikyo's poem was written on the morning he passed away, where it was said that he wrote the poem, laid down his brush, and then died while sitting upright - probably seated "zazen.")


This outlook of letting go was embraced by farmers, merchants, traders, fishermen - the common folk - as well as by monks and other Buddhists; men and women who knew just how harsh and fleeting the world was.  They knew it because they lived it.  But samurai were not commoners or monks, and many of them weren't even Buddhist.  Despite common misunderstanding, most samurai were not Zennists, in fact, and at times in the country's history, there were even daimyo that openly waged war against various Buddhist institutions!  (For the actual connection that exists between Zen and the martial arts, read my post "The REAL Connection Between Zen and the Martial Arts.")


Musashi knew all of this. And he was a Zen Buddhist, one who believed that the path of Zen was the most appropriate path for the warrior who must NOT fear death.  And he absolutely knew that someone - even a skilled samurai - was more likely to not want to die if he owned possessions.  Or, rather, owned possessions that he was fond of.  Musashi wanted students of his Niten Ichi-ryū (二天一流) school to have a mind of Zen, whether they were Buddhists or not.  And this mind did not cling to possessions, or to anything that kept one's mind from practicing the Way.


This precept is as important today for modern budoka as it was when Musashi wrote it.  In fact, it might be more important.  Why?  Because it is much easier to accumulate possessions in the modern world.  Let's say that I want a new bo staff, or a new pair of tonfas, or any of the traditional weapons of Okinawan Karate-Do that I enjoy to train with.  Well, all I have to do is get online, and I will find several marketplaces selling an assortment of, not just different weapons, but different versions of the same weapon.  It would be quite feasible for me to be able to collect a dozen different varieties of just one weapon, and I could do this with every kind of weapon I own.


But to what point? What is the "goal" of the collecting? The goal - for most people - is to simply collect.  If you are a fan of the Budo, for example, then you collect in order to possess.  For the budoka, however, one's "possessions" must be of a different sort.  You must possess a mind of discipline.  You must possess a body that can handle the rigorous demands of hard training, which will in turn lead to the possession of an armored body.  And you must possess the spirit that illumines true budo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Classic Bodybuilding: The Natural Power-Bodybuilding Methods of Chuck Sipes

Chuck Sipes as he appeared in the pages of the original Ironman Magazine. For a while now, I have wanted to write a piece on one of my favorite bodybuilders of all time: Chuck Sipes. I had relented in doing so until now only because there are so many good pieces that you can find on the internet just from doing a cursory search. But I finally figured, you know, what the hell, you can never have too much Chuck Sipes. Also, in addition to my own memories and thoughts on Sipes' totally bad-a training, I've tried to find some of the best information from various sites, and include a lot of that here. For those of you that don't know much about Sipes, he was one of a kind. I know that's a bit cliché, and I've used such terms before when it comes to other "classic bodybuilders", but there was nothing cliché about Sipes, so it's completely true in this instance. Don't believe me? Then read on. First off, he was natural. In fact, he was one of the l