Skip to main content

Fundamentals: Workout Frequency

 I thought, for the sake of a few e-mails that I have received recently, that I would do a "back-to-the-basics" series of posts covering most of what you need to know if you're just getting started in a serious weight training program.  Now, this could also be for you if you have been training for a considerable amount of time (6 months or longer),and haven't made any real gains.


Let us begin with workout frequency.


If you're just beginning - or if you don't have much muscle or strength as of now - then almost always begin your muscle-building career with a 3-days-per-week, full-body program.  In fact, you could spend your training lifetime using a 3-days-per-week program and do just fine.

Clancy Ross spent his career using a 3-days-per-week, full-body program!*


Most lifters enjoy using a Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine, just so they can take weekends off, but any three non-consecutive days are fine.  The one complaint I sometimes hear about that is that a lot of people are very busy during the week, and some young men I've heard from work very demanding jobs during the week, as well, such as construction jobs, so they feel as if a program where they can workout on the weekends is best for their situation.


If this is the case for you, then I recommend training on Saturday and Sunday, and then train once during the week on Wednesdays, which you should be able to manage.  Just tell yourself  that you only have one hard training day during the week!  Still train full-body.  On Saturday, workout hard - in fact, this should be your "heavy" day.  Sunday should be more of an "active" recovery session.  Do the same lifts you did on Saturday, but with about half the weight.  On Wednesday, go to the gym and try to "out-do" the workload you performed on Saturday.


But, of course, three non-consecutive days will always be better than trying to cram two days in on the weekend.  And, remember, if you do want to workout one day on the weekends, "begin" your training week on Saturday or Sunday.  Train either Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday, or train Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  I personally trained on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday for years before switching to another program.  Since my "work day" began on Monday, I always enjoyed having my hardest session on Sunday evening to sort of begin the week off right!


If you are brand new to lifting, then you can train hard on each training day.  Eventually, however, this approach will stop working, and you will need to switch over to a "heavy/light/medium" program for your three-days-per-week, full-body workouts.  At this point, your first training day of the week should be your heaviest training day, and by "heavy", I mean that this day of training should have the highest total "workload".  Workload refers, if you don't know it, to the total amount of weight used during a workout program: sets x reps x weight lifted=workload.


Your heavy day is also when you go "all-out", with your heaviest set of each exercise being pushed toward the limit of your capacity.  The "light" day should then be about 80% of what you did on your heavy day, and then your "medium" day should be about 90% of the workload performed on your heavy day.


As said, you could stick with full-body workouts for the rest of your life!  And I truly mean this.  There is NO REASON whatsoever to switch to a "split workout" if you don't want to.  Yes, there is no doubt that your workouts will get long but if you truly enjoy - nay, love - working out, then you may actually have some of the best workouts of your life by lifting for 3-hour workouts, 3-days-per-week! At some point, however, if you truly admit it, you will probably want to try a "split" program.  But don't go crazy!  For a good split workout, all you need is to split your body two-ways.  When using a split program, I think a few options work well.  The first, and often the most-used two-way split for the majority of lifters, involves just splitting your workouts into upper body and lower body.  Train your upper half on, say, Monday and Thursday and then train your lower body on Tuesday and Friday.  The splits I like the most are, either, legs and back on Day One followed by chest, shoulders, and arms on Day Two of the split; and the second I like is chest, shoulders, triceps, and legs (thighs, hamstrings) on Day One, and back, biceps, and calves on Day Two.


Once you split your body two-ways - assuming that you have been performing a full-body, 3-days-per-week session for over a year or more - then you will probably, however, want to perform more than just two-workouts-per-week for each bodypart.  I prefer a 3-on, 1-off, 2-on, 1-off program at this point.  This would mean that your split would look something like this:

Monday: workout A

Tuesday: workout B

Wednesday: workout A

Thursday: off

Friday: workout B

Saturday: workout A

Sunday: off


On the next day (Monday), you would start the week off by performing workout B again.  This means that each week, one workout gets 3-days of training, and the other workout gets 2 workout days.


On the next "Fundamentals" blog post, we will cover "sets and reps".



*Clancy Ross picture is from a 1958 article in Popular Mechanics magazine, of all places.  Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Old Time Mass Tactics: One-Exercise-Per-Bodypart Training

     Starting with the current post, I thought I would do a mini-series on how the "old-time" bodybuilders used to train.  In doing so, I also thought I would start with what I consider the greatest of the old-time mass tactics:  one-exercise-per-bodypart training.      When I first began to lift weights seriously (which was sometime in my high-school years; I'm 35 now, so you do the math), the bodybuilders that I loved were the ones that—even then—were considered the "old-timers."  I remember seeing pictures of Freddy Ortiz, Don Howorth (above), and Marvin Eder; I was amazed by their look.  For one, they definitely looked strong (which they were), but they also had excellent size, shape, and symmetry—small waists, large calves, boulder-sized shoulders; the whole "x-frame" look.  But—and I think this is what I still love about them—they didn't appear to be cardboard cutouts of one another.  They all had different "looks."  They were