Skip to main content

Emptiness Alive with Fullness

     The famous Mahayana saying goes like this: "emptiness is form, form is emptiness."  And, of course, emptiness is nothing other than form, form is nothing other than emptiness.
     Here's the problem: sayings like this have become so commonplace—even more so with the advent of the internet, and even more so with Twitter and whatnot—that they no longer have much meaning to those who hear them, or read them, all the time.
     They are just words, of course.  Words that point to the real thing.  But they are not the real thing.

     For spirituality to be true, for it to be capable of transforming your life (your interior life as well as your exterior one), then you must make it your own.  You must experience the truth of the words that are spoken, and then live those words with your entire being.
     Inner creativity must explode into outward creativity—the creativity of living.
     But here's an important point: Although you must make this lived spirituality your own, it must be a spirituality that is a Truth.  Not a belief—a belief in and of itself is quite capable of being worthless—but a truth.  (There's a difference.)
     And you must experience this truth—otherwise it's not true—and then put words into what this truth means to you.
     The Mahayanist knows that emptiness is form and form is emptiness, not because he has read the words, but because he has experienced the living truth of it.  And then has applied it to his life.

     So, here's my truth:
     Emptiness is not fullness.  Fullness is not emptiness.  (I simply don't understand that to be true because it goes against—and goes against it only ever so slightly—my experience.)
     No, the truth is that the All is emptiness—shunyata—but it's an emptiness alive with fullness.  It's an emptiness alive with a Divine creativity.
     I understand emptiness.  And I understand the Divine Creativity that pulses in and out of it, weaves its spell through the whole of that utter no-thingness that I call life and Reality.
     I understand it because I have experienced it, so I have made it a Truth.

     What is your Truth?  Are you just playing at being spiritual?  Are you turning True Spirituality into nothing more than spiritual materialism or Boomeritis spirituality?
     Discover your won Emptiness that is alive with Divine Fullness and pulsating Creativity.
     Make this emptiness your own and leave behind the narcissism that threatens to destroy the very heart of Truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Don Howorth's Formula for Wide, Massive Shoulders Vintage picture of Don Howorth in competition shape. I can't remember the first time I laid eyes on Howorth's massive physique with those absolutely friggin' awesomely shaped "cannonball" shoulders of his, but it was probably sometime in the late '80s and early '90s, when I read about him in either IronMan Magazine  or MuscleMag International .  IronMan  had regular "Mass from the Past" articles written by Gene Mozee that had a couple of articles about Howorth's training*, and he was also mentioned fairly regularly in Vince Gironda's column for MuscleMag  not to mention in some of the articles of Greg Zulak for the same publication. There is no doubt that genetics played a big role in just how fantastic Howorth's delts looked, but to claim Howorth's results were just because of genetics or anabolic steroids - as I've read claimed on some internet forums - is a l...

Marvin Eder’s Mass-Building Methods

  The Many and Varied Mass-Building Methods of Power Bodybuilding’s G.O.A.T. Eder as he appeared in my article "Full Body Workouts" for IronMan  magazine.      In many ways, the essay you are now reading is the one that has had the “longest time coming.”  I have no clue why it has taken me this long to write an article specifically on Marvin Eder, especially considering the fact that I have long considered him the greatest bodybuilder cum strength athlete of all friggin’ time .  In fact, over 20 years ago, I wrote this in the pages of IronMan magazine: In my opinion, the greatest all-around bodybuilder, powerlifter and strength athlete ever to walk the planet, Eder had 19-inch arms at a bodyweight of 198. He could bench 510, squat 550 for 10 reps and do a barbell press with 365. He was reported to have achieved the amazing feat of cranking out 1,000 dips in only 17 minutes. Imagine doing a dip a second for 17 minutes. As Gene Mozee once put ...

Odd Training Splits and Ideas (That Work)

On the Joy of Creative Training      I love training for many reasons.  Like a lot of lifters, I’ve always loved training because, more than anything else, I just loved the feel of moving heavy iron.  I also loved the kind of training that goes along with being incredibly strong.  I can think of fewer pleasures in life than a workout that involves near max sets of squats, bench presses, deadlifts, overhead presses, and curls.  But I also love training because I love the creativity of it all.  I am a creative, after all.  An artist.  Writing is one of the arts that my creative side is attracted to—not just attracted to but needs .  But I love lifting for the same reason that I love writing.  The gym is where I practice the art of training.      Training is both science and art.  If you neglect either side, you’re neglecting the full range of benefits that lifting provides.  Nowadays...