Skip to main content

The One-Lift-Per-Day Program

 Every week, I receive emails from folks who count their calories, know the exact percentage of macronutrients they are consuming, weigh their food, and train with apps full of charts, graphs, and whatever other things those apps track.  They also keep meticulous journals, and can tell you the exact repetition tempo performed for all of their machine work at the gym.  I only mention this because just yesterday - while I was relaxing at home, drinking a Coors light, and grilling out for Juneteenth - I checked my email, only to see that I had received an email from a reader who explained to me he is having trouble getting "psyched up" for his workouts - despite taking a pre-workout pill, wearing his state-of-the-art lycra pants and mesh "cooling" tank top, along with his brand new, brand name workout shoes.  So he wanted to know what I did pre-workout to prepare for my training sessions, and what I wear.  I told him I try to remember to wear some shorts, and then I decide if I want to workout barefoot or in my flip-flops.  Oh, and sometimes I drink some coffee for a pre-workout drink.


I say all of this just to point out how much we overcomplicate things.  From what I can see in the current workout "scene" (at least here in the U.S.) is that people seem to go for overcomplicated and easy instead of simple and hard!  But simple and hard will always be best.

Marvin Eder knew the power of simple but hard workouts.



There are several simple but not easy workouts programs.  For instance, if you're new to powerlifting, and don't know what sort of workout you should follow because you have been reading about Westside Barbell's methods, Sheiko programs, and Bill Starr workouts - there's no need for all of that confusion, so here's a simple workout program if you're in this boat:

Monday: squat and bench press for 5 progressively heavier sets of 5 reps each

Thursday: deadlift and bench press for 5 progressively heavier sets of 5 reps each

That's right: just 5 sets of 5 reps on each exercise, and make sure the last set is ALL-OUT.  On your off days, rest a lot, go for a walk just to help you recover, and see how much food you can eat.  You'll be strong in no time.


Here's another program that fits the simple but not easy mantra to a T: The one-lift-per-day program.  Here is how this program works:

1. Do one-lift-per-day

2. Train at least 4 days per week

That's it!

But, of course, if I stop right here then I will also receive all sorts of emails wanting me to fill in the details.  So here are the details.


First off, utilize the Big 4.  I write about this all the time because it's so important, and because NO ONE seems to utilize it.  The Big 4 are:

1. Squat something heavy.

2. Pick heavy stuff off the ground.

3. Press heavy stuff overhead.

4. Drag or carry stuff for distance or time.


So a very basic OLPD program would look like this:

Monday: Squats

Tuesday: One-Arm Dumbbell Overhead Presses

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Power Cleans

Friday: Farmer's Walks

Weekends: Off


If you wanted to add a couple of "pretty-boy" exercises to the program, it could look something such as this:

Monday: Front Squats

Tuesday: Bench Presses

Wednesday: Deadlifts

Thursday: Sandbag Carries

Friday: Push Presses

Saturday: Barbell Curls


Now for sets and reps.  And the form your sets and reps take should depend on your goal.  Want to primarily get strong as hell, with muscle mass as more of a "back-up" to your strength-building?  Then keep your reps under 5 (for the most part) and your sets HIGH - I have in mind a 10 sets of 3 reps program, for instance.  Want to get big AND strong?  Then you can't go wrong with an 8 sets of 5 program.  Or you could "surf" your rep ranges, working up to something heavy, and then back down for a lot of reps.


The beauty of the OLPD program is that you can do all sorts of set and rep ranges since you will only be working on one exercise at each session.  Just keep it simple... but not easy!



Comments

  1. Great article! I pretty much do that during the summer here along the NC coast. Humidity brutal! Definitely a seasonal garage trainer. Fall/winter/spring I will do some some of two way split. Currently doing a two on, one off with one big lift then maybe 1 or 2 tops accessory lift

    Incline and gironda dips then maybe laterals

    Snatch grip deadlifts and inverted rows

    Rest

    Zercher squats and zercher carries

    Standing behind neck presses and deficit push ups

    Rest

    Lots of dead hang chins then maybe a curl

    Walking lunges and front squats. If feeling good will farmer walk

    Rest

    Repeat

    Thanks

    Greg

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us some feedback on the article or any topics you would like us to cover in the future! Much Appreciated!

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Classic Bodybuilding: The Natural Power-Bodybuilding Methods of Chuck Sipes

Chuck Sipes as he appeared in the pages of the original Ironman Magazine. For a while now, I have wanted to write a piece on one of my favorite bodybuilders of all time: Chuck Sipes. I had relented in doing so until now only because there are so many good pieces that you can find on the internet just from doing a cursory search. But I finally figured, you know, what the hell, you can never have too much Chuck Sipes. Also, in addition to my own memories and thoughts on Sipes' totally bad-a training, I've tried to find some of the best information from various sites, and include a lot of that here. For those of you that don't know much about Sipes, he was one of a kind. I know that's a bit cliché, and I've used such terms before when it comes to other "classic bodybuilders", but there was nothing cliché about Sipes, so it's completely true in this instance. Don't believe me? Then read on. First off, he was natural. In fact, he was one of the l