Skip to main content

The Way of the Modern Ronin, Part 13

 

Essays and Thoughts on The Dokkodo

Part Thirteen

Be Indifferent to Where You Live

Ronin at dusk

Compared to some of the more philosophical musings in The Dokkodo, this one just seems as if its straightforward stoic advice.  But is it?  Could there actually be more to this maxim than what is on the surface?  I think the answer is yes... and no.

Many musings in The Dokkodo - this one, and the others of a similar bent - or much of the advice given in The Book of Five Rings is meant to be philosophical, while, at the same time and without distracting from the philosophical aspect of it, are also supposed to be straightforward.  You "practice" this maxim by doing exactly what Musashi says to do.  When you do this, the living philosophy of it begins to make itself known to you.  And everything appears to take on the appearance of what the Buddhists call "One Taste."  Your life - your actions and your thoughts, and all that flows forth from these - becomes of one accord, one seemless whole needed for you, as a martial practitioner, to perfect your craft.

This maxim, and several throughout The Dokkodo, is an extension of the previous one, "in all things, have no preferences."  This one could be, "have no preference to where you live."  The next musing, "do not pursue the taste of good food," could be "have no preference toward the taste of food."  And the musing after that, "do not hold onto possessions you no longer need"?  It could easily be "have no preferences toward what posessions you own."  All of The Dokkodo, in this sense, is of One Taste.

David K. Groff, in his 2012 The Five Rings: Miyamato Musashi's Art of Strategy which includes The Dokkodo within it, translates this as "Have no special wishes about your home."  I find this interesting.  It clearly shows that there is more to this musing than I had first thought upon initial reading.  You could be indifferent about where you live, but still want something for the home you happen to be living in, however temporary or however long-term of a dwelling.  But in Groff's translation it's clear that Musashi's maxim might be better read as this, "be indifferent to where you live and indifferent to what is in your dwelling."  This makes it more substantially about letting go as opposed to how I had initially read it.  As I understood it to begin with, I simply thought it was about indifference to where the ronin laid his head at night.  And this made sense to me.  After all, ronin were essentially wandering samurai due to their lack of master, which meant they had to find work wherever they could.  It would make sense that you should cultivate indifference to your living quarters, considering that you never knew where you may have to bed down.  But when you include Groff's translation, it becomes evident that Musashi means to have complete indifference when it came to one's abode, caring not the where or the what, caring not whether it is hot or cold, whether one's bedding is hard or soft, whether or not it is crowded or empty.  None of that matters, and if any of that does matter to you, then you have not learned the art of letting go.

To sum things up for this maxim, let me just add these words of Roshi Richard Collins from his book No Fear Zen: "Our surrounding do not need to be uncomfortable or homely; they should be simple and aesthetically pleasing in a way that does not interfere with their function - a functional aesthetic that makes practice (concentration, focus, attentiveness, harmonizing) more efficient.  On the other hand, like the warrior, the bodhisattva must be willing to give up both functionality and aesthetics at any time and move on when the occasion calls."






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Classic Bodybuilding: The Natural Power-Bodybuilding Methods of Chuck Sipes

Chuck Sipes as he appeared in the pages of the original Ironman Magazine. For a while now, I have wanted to write a piece on one of my favorite bodybuilders of all time: Chuck Sipes. I had relented in doing so until now only because there are so many good pieces that you can find on the internet just from doing a cursory search. But I finally figured, you know, what the hell, you can never have too much Chuck Sipes. Also, in addition to my own memories and thoughts on Sipes' totally bad-a training, I've tried to find some of the best information from various sites, and include a lot of that here. For those of you that don't know much about Sipes, he was one of a kind. I know that's a bit cliché, and I've used such terms before when it comes to other "classic bodybuilders", but there was nothing cliché about Sipes, so it's completely true in this instance. Don't believe me? Then read on. First off, he was natural. In fact, he was one of the l