Skip to main content

The Way of the Modern Ronin, Part 9

 Essays and Thoughts on The Dokkodo

Part Nine

Never Allow Yourself to be Saddened by a Separation

16th century painting of Musashi (public domain)


Another translation that I like of this musing is David K. Groff's that reads, "On whatever the path, do not be sad about parting ways."  If you are following a "way," then you must be prepared for the fact - inevitable some might say - that you will have to separate yourself from others who are not following the same path that you are embarked upon.

When one first reads/hears a maxim such as this one or one similar, our initial reaction is to recoil from it.  We - as a human race - love our attachments!  Not only are we saddened by a separation, but we never want to be separated in the first place.  Of course it's natural for us to feel saddened upon separation, right?

We are attached to many things other than just people.  Some of these attachments are subtle and we might not even be aware of what it is we are attached to, while others will be more obvious.  It's easy for us to see - and acknowledge - we're sad when our girlfriend has to go on a business trip for the next week, or when our boyfriend has to travel overseas.

We are attached to our clothes, our house, the vehicle that we own - the list of material things, if we are truly honest with ourselves, can seem almost endless.  Personally, I'm attached to my black Labrador, Kenji, and the thought of being separated from him is, for me, deeply saddening.

For the budoka, not all separation, of course, is bad.  You will discover early on (if you have not done much physical training beforehand) that you must separate yourself from "substances" that impede your results in training.  I can remember, for instance, being in my late teens, and making a decision that I wasn't going to partake in drugs or alcohol because I knew that doing so would mean that I wouldn't make the progress I wanted in both my martial arts and in my bodybuilding/powerlifting career.  I had friends who didn't understand why I wouldn't want to go out and "party" on the weekends, or why I wouldn't go with them to the "clubs" to drink and dance.  Even if I had enjoyed these things - which I didn't anyway - I knew that successful athletes could rarely do these things and make good progress in their chosen endeavors.  I knew that there were, of course, exceptions to this rule, but they were just that: exceptionsYou may think that you are one of these exceptions.  Trust me.  You're not.  And even if, by some stroke of God-given power, you ARE one of these exceptions, just imagine the sheer amount of progress - and even greatness - that could be achieved if you did stay away from such intoxicants!

You may have to separate yourself from foods that you enjoy, too, if such foods are detrimental to your progress.  Anyone who wants to build a significant amount of muscle or strength is going to have to choose a diet to follow in order to optimize results.  That choice will mean eliminating either fat or carbohydrates from your diet.  Even if you are a "hardgainer" that can get away with eating a lot of food - or even if you need the extra calories - that other people can't eat, it still means that you will need to eliminate "junk" that doesn't aid you in your muscle-building efforts.  Foods such as candy, potato chips, sodas, and beer do nothing to help you build muscle and/or endurance.  You must learn to separate yourself from such items without any sadness involved in the separation.  If you can learn to begin to do this with these more "benign" things such as diet, then it will be even easier to separate yourself from other things that you "love" more than food.

There are times when it's only natural to feel saddened over a separation from someone that you love.  But there are also times when a person needs to be removed from your life just as quickly as certain foods.  There is no reason to feel saddened over being separated from "negative" persons in your life.  If you are going to be successful in anything, not just Budo, then you will need to surround yourself with loved ones and friends who are supportive of your goals.  Never be afraid to "cut off" those people in your life who are not completely supportive of your goals, and who will not rejoice with you in your achievements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classic Bodybuilding: Don Howorth's Massive Delt Training

Before we get started on this "Classic Bodybuilding" piece, one word of note:  If you really  pay attention to this blog, then you will notice that in the "sub-header" at the top of the page, I have added "Ageless Bodybuilding" as one of the subjects that will be discussed.  This is for a decided reason... I have been developing a system of training that I have been using on myself and a few "older" lifters that occasionally train with me, but still follow my training program that I have them using even when they are training at a commercial gym instead of my "garage gym".  This system is for those of you who are 40+ such as myself, but it may be even more effective for those of you 50 and older.  In fact, of my two occasional training partners, one of them is 51, and the other is 55. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call this ageless bodybuilding system  revolutionary, but I can say that it is radically different from most syste

Old School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams's Arm Training Routine

Old-School Arm Training Secrets: John McWilliams’s Arm Routine      My most popular posts here at Integral Strength typically fall into two categories: old-school bodybuilding programs or serious strength and power routines.      With that in mind, I thought I would do a series of articles on various old-school lifters and bodybuilders (the two overlapped once-upon-a-time), and on various old-school methods for training different bodyparts or lifts.   Thus, this first entry is on old-school arm training, but others will be on old-school chest, shoulders, back, legs, squats, bench presses, overhead presses, power cleans, etc.   And for this first entry, I decided upon an old-school bodybuilder cum powerlifter that many of you may never have heard of: John McWilliams. McWilliams's back double-biceps pose.  He was impressive even in his 40s.      When I first came across an article about McWilliams (written by Gene Mozee) in the early ‘90s, I had certainly neve

Classic Bodybuilding: The Natural Power-Bodybuilding Methods of Chuck Sipes

Chuck Sipes as he appeared in the pages of the original Ironman Magazine. For a while now, I have wanted to write a piece on one of my favorite bodybuilders of all time: Chuck Sipes. I had relented in doing so until now only because there are so many good pieces that you can find on the internet just from doing a cursory search. But I finally figured, you know, what the hell, you can never have too much Chuck Sipes. Also, in addition to my own memories and thoughts on Sipes' totally bad-a training, I've tried to find some of the best information from various sites, and include a lot of that here. For those of you that don't know much about Sipes, he was one of a kind. I know that's a bit cliché, and I've used such terms before when it comes to other "classic bodybuilders", but there was nothing cliché about Sipes, so it's completely true in this instance. Don't believe me? Then read on. First off, he was natural. In fact, he was one of the l